Hotmail accounts can be automatically deactivated by Microsoft if there is no activity from the account on a daily basis. You have to use your Hotmail account regularly to keep it activated. If the account has expired, you can contact the support center of Hotmail for help.
In order to reactivate an old account that you have not used in a while, go to the official website of Hotmail and sign in with the respective account.
After logging in, you have to click the option labelled “Activate my account” and follow up with the terms and conditions of the website. Then you have to click the “Continue” option to get your account re-activated.
How you can reactivate your account on Hotmail
In this tutorial, we will guide you step by step how you can reactivate your Hotmail account.
- Open a web browser and go to the official page of Microsoft.
- Enter the email address that you want to reactivate in the respective box.
- You will be directed to a new page where the details and date of your account closing will be displayed.
- Select the “I want to reopen this account” option.
- Select a verification method such as phone/email.
- Choose registered phone number to verify access.
- Enter the received verification code in respective space.
- You will receive a security code via your phone number.
- Enter security code in the respective space.
You have to go to the official website of Microsoft and enter the email address that you want to reactivate in the respective space. This will direct you to a new page where the details of your account and its deactivation date will be displayed. Select the option of “I want to reopen this account”.
After this, you will be directed to a verification page. Select a method to receive a verification code, either on a different email address or your verified phone number.
You will receive the verification code within a few minutes, enter the code in the respective box. After verification, you will be sent a security code.
Check the security code that you have received via your mobile number or a different email account and proceed to enter this security code in the respective space.
Click on the option labelled “Next” and proceed to your re-activated account so you can use it again.
Make sure you use your Hotmail account regularly or log in to your account after a few days to keep it activated.
Hotmail accounts are deleted after 12 months of inactivity. Microsoft may suspend your account on some unusual activity as well, in which case, it may take longer than expected to re-activate your account.
In case of non-usage for a long period of time, Microsoft may even disable and free your email address for it to be taken up by someone else. Contact Microsoft help and support for any further queries.